Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Night Supper

If you’ve been reading this blog, you know that I have trouble in the kitchen.

I tried to cook oatmeal on Saturday morning.  This is what happened…

February11 001

I don’t like oatmeal anyways.

There is one dish that I am capable of making….mac&cheese casserole.  I’ve been a little under the weather this week-end and wanted a nice comfort dish.

February11 002

Look.  Proof that I am allowed in the kitchen. 

I was in charge of the casserole.  Nate was in charge of the Parmesan chicken.

February11 005

We make a good team.

After about 45 minutes we had a tasty supper...

February11 008

We placed the hot casserole dish on our new trivet. 
Nate’s parents brought it back from Costa Rica.  It’s made from Costa Rican wood. Fancy.

February11 006

Hope you had a great week-end!

Mac & Cheese Casserole (Family recipe from my grandmother)
8oz macaroni
3 T. butter
2 T. flour
2 c. milk
1 t. salt
2 c. grated or cubed cheese (We use Velveeta. Healthy.)
¼ c. buttered bread crumbs
Cook macaroni until tender. Drain and rinse.
Melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour and blend.
Add milk. Cook and stir until the resulting sauce is smooth and thickened.
(This takes forever and I know it’s done when I can’t handle stirring anymore).
Add salt and all but ¼ c. cheese. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
Combine with macaroni and pour into greased casserole dish.
Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until heated and lightly brown on top.

Parmesan chicken (Edited recipe.  Supposedly a Noodles knock-off)
Mix 1 cup of the flour with 1 cup bread crumbs and 1 cup parmesan cheese.
Dredge a chicken breast in plain flour, then dip it into heavy cream, then finally into the parmesan breading.
Heat a skillet with 1 T vegetable oil, then place the breaded chicken into the pan. Cook on medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden and flip over to cook other side. (We cut ours into strips to make sure they were cooked through).

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your grandmother's recipe!! I can't wait to try!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://www.decorandthedog.net'.