|West Elm Window Headboard|
Feel free to ask questions if we forget anything!
Here is the plan. It is for a king sized bed. (Click here for queen dimensions.) It is weak...some day I might be a fancy blogger...but until then...you get this...
1. Buy your supplies.
- One 2x4x8'
- Four 2x3x8'
- Five 1x2x8' (we purchased 1 extra)
- Paint: (Olympic Zero VOC in white, semi-gloss)
- Pocket hole screws: (#100 1 1/4")
- Pocket hole jig (Kreg)
- We already had/borrowed: the primer, miter saw, clamps, rollers, 90 degree angle, screw driver
2. Cut the lumber. You will need:
- Using 2x4: cut to 75" (horizontal support on very bottom)
- Using 2x3:
- cut 2 - 75" pieces (top and bottom horizontal of headboard)
- cut 2 - 55" pieces (side pieces)
- Using your 1x2s cut:
- ten 9" pieces (horizontal part of "window")
- ten 18.5" pieces (vertical part of "window")
- (the picture shows 20" but this takes into account the other pieces)
- ten 6" pieces (for top and bottom of "window")
- six 5" pieces (in between windows)
4. Drill pocket holes using jig:
5. Screw headboard together. This is where math and a right angle are handy. I, obviously, was not involved in this step. I was doing useful things...like lamp shopping.
6. Sand. We used our Rockwell Sonicrafter Sander (see post here )
7. Prime. We used FastPrime2. It was in our basement. It works. I applied it with a brush and a mini-roller. It took FOREVER because there are A LOT of corners. It won't look pretty after the prime...don't get discouraged.
(Also, this project would be better done in the spring/fall..instead of the dead of winter...so you don't have to paint in your mudroom...you live and you learn.)
8. 2 coats of paint. We used Olympic Zero VOC Premium white, semi-gloss. This paint is great. It doesn't smell, is good for the enviroment, covers well...and did I mention it doesn't smell.
9. Attach to your bed frame using bolts, nuts, and washers (we used some we dug up in our basement) that are long enough to go through the wood and attach to your bed frame.
10. Enjoy your inexpensive headboard!
Linking up to: The DIY Show Off, DIYHomeSweetHomeProject, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Wow Us Wednesdays, TypeA, Primitive and Proper, Handy Man, Crafty Woman, ShabbyChicCottage, Whassup Wednesdays, House of Hepworths, At the Picket Fence, Simple Home Life, Miss Mustard Seed, Tatertots and Jello, Saturday Spotlight, Remodelaholic, Seven Thirty Three
Featured on: Apartment Therapy, Curbly, CasaSugar, Knock Off Decor, Centsational Girl, TheDiyHomeSweetHomeProject, Somedaycrafts, House of Hepworths, Handy Man, Crafty Woman, Homemaker on a Dime