Monday, April 23, 2012

We Moved…

The blog was a little quiet last week because we were busy moving…

4886

Busy moving stuff off of our counters so we could reseal them.

(I sure hope I got some of you on that one.  I wasn’t around on April Fool’s Day and that made me sad.  I’m making it up for today. Mwah ha ha.)

The company that installed our granite recommended we seal the countertops every year.  3 1/2 years later we finally got around to it.  We started to notice that the counters were losing their glossiness and water did not pool on top as it previously had. 

Bring on the sealer.

4952

We went with Dupont’s BulletProof Sealer.  We choose this sealer because it was inexpensive and got good reviews on Amazon.  We’re pretty scientific when it comes to choosing products.  (Also pictured is our favorite granite cleaner, Method’s Daily Granite.  The cleaner is easy to use.  Just spray it on the counters and wipe dry.)

The sealer was fairly easy to use.  We cleaned the counters well with a wet rag.  We let the counters dry for an hour.  Nate then applied the sealer with a foam brush.  He let the sealer sit for 15-30 minutes and then wiped the excess with a towel.  There were a few spots that were hazy. He had to rewet with the sealer and then wiped it clear again.  We let the counters fully dry overnight.

In the mean time, our table looked like this.  We had a nice, cozy supper on Saturday night.

4885

On Sunday, we put everything back and enjoyed our shiny counters.  (In between Words With Friends and Draw Something.  We are now both addicted.  Just what we need.)

4960

4962

4963

4967

We would definitely recommend granite countertops.  They are low maintenance.  Our dark granite doesn’t stain.  We haven’t noticed any scratches after 3 1/2 years of use.  Our favorite thing about granite is the ability to set hot pans directly onto the countertop.  It only took me about a year to fully trust this fact but now I’m not even sure where our hot pads are!

What are your favorite type of countertops?  Did you complete any projects this week-end that you’ve been putting off?  Any other Draw Something fans out there?

29 comments:

  1. i think i can see my reflection in them! they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing kitchen! Love it! Your whole house is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me....I said no that house is perfect...why would you move....as I read more! Countertops look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had a kitchen as yours, I would forever remain there...it is fantastically beautiful! And love your humor.period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! I as well am addicted to draw something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont think I'll have granite anytime soon, but this is good to know. I'm a huge Words with Friends fan! mkilgo (I think) if you want to play!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahah funny joke.

    We have a tan-ish granite in the bathroom and sometimes it'll get darker if there's water just sitting on top but it always goes back to normal after a little while. Very low maintenance.

    I like draw with friends but I like Scramble even more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know, and thanks for the recommendation...I've had my black granite for 1 1/2 years, and keep thinking I need to get it sealed...glad to know I probably have some more wiggle room...can you get the sealer locally, or did you have to get it off Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't find what we were looking for at our local Lowe's or Home Depot. We also live in the middle of nowhere.

      Delete
  9. I do miss my old granite... we have laminte right now and while we intend to put new counters on, it's not a high priority. Yours looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I need to do this - we moved into our house 6 months ago and given the state of the house, I seriously doubt the former owner EVER re-sealed their granite! thanks for the product review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The countertops look great. My in-laws are getting rid of their entire kitchen, including their less-than-a-year old granite countertops. I''m seriously considering designing our entire next home around said kitchen and countertops so we can avoid spending money to buy them at full price. Is that strange?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely LOVE my granite countertops. I too set hot pans on them and don't know wheremy trivets or hot pads are!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeeeeah, I really need to do this, too. We sealed our granite when we installed it, but that was 4 years ago. We've definitely lost some of that fabulous shine, too. Maybe I should seal it when the kitchen is done! Oh wait. That'll be another 3 years.

    I totally second you on loving granite. Dark granite is fantastic and super low maintenance. And beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite is granite - and your kitchen is pretty much my dream kitchen....sadly I'm going to just be dreaming about it for a bit longer while I save my pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i wish i could keep my kitchen that clean with a husband and 10 year old son. I am happy when I can just see what the counter color is under all the papers and stuff that migrates to the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a crush on your kitchen! It's so beautiful with the white and the dark and the beauty! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love granite but have my heart set on quartz countertops one day. My inlaws have granite though. I still get nervous putting hot things on MIL's counters. It just seems wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the contrast between your white cabinets and black counters. Granite is great, but it's true- without sealing it will go dull. Thanks for sharing!

    Feel free to check out my blog- http://bit.ly/I5KpsT

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cannot believe you wrote this post today! Just this morning I was looking at our granite (ours is black too) and I was thinking how dull it was! I had planned on going online to look for tips to do this! It's been several years since I sealed ours...oops! Now you got me motivated! Question on the sealer - does it smell really strong? After the counters dried, did you have to clean them or anything? By the way I use the Method too! Love the smell of that stuff! Thanks for the perfect-timing post!
    Cheers - Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sealer had a little smell during application but I didn't notice anything after it dried. Nate applied it. Let is sit for about 15-30 minutes and then wiped it with a clean cloth. That's it!!

      Delete
  21. I love my granite! And I thank you for the reminder that I need to seal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, love, love, Draw Something. Also, we are getting granite with our new home, so this is something I'll have to file away for later use!

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you like words with friends you might like scramble...super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. apparently we need to play draw soemthing too, i love that game!! also your countertops are beautifulllly shiny in these photos, i can practically see myself in them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd love to have granite counter tops in our next house. It would be silly to put them in our current house.

    I love Draw Something. Hit me up! I'm twotwentyone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We need to seal our granite too, thanks for the reminder. It's been four years and I am sure needs it. I added your cleaner to my Amacon wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't even know what this post was about because I was too busy drooling over your kitchen. I am completely in love with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://www.decorandthedog.net'.