Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mudroom

Awhile back I shared with you my "secret" to appearing to have a super clean and organized home.

There is more.  As embarrassing as it is.

Our mudroom looked pretty innocent.


Until you opened the doors....



No matter how hard I tried, we could not keep this closet clean and organized.

One of the main problems was the shoe situation.  Shoes were stored where they landed after we kicked them off. 
Unacceptable.

I found this shoe organizer at Lowe's for $12. 


It was supposed to be easy to assemble. 
Obviously 8 years of college did me no good in shoe storage assembly because this thing almost made me cry. 
They forget to mention in the directions that there are "right (painted)" and "wrong (unpainted)" sides that are important to pay attention to when assembling so you don't end up with a nasty looking finished project. 
(Yes, common sense would be handy here but not all of us are blessed with such skills.)
After about 45 minutes (for a project that should have take 15 minutes...max), I had a nice storage solution.

I then moved on to cleaning out the closet.  This included taking everying out and moving items to their appropriate home.  I threw a few things away.  I then wiped the area down, moved everything back in the closet, and wah-lah.....


It makes me smile. 

Well, it did until Nate told me that the shoe shelf was too hard to use because he can't just kick his shoes off.  A girl can't win.

Have I inspired you to clean out a closet?  Or does Nate's comment make you realize it's probably not worth the effort?

3 comments:

  1. LOL at Nate's comment. That's totally my husband.

    (I go to yoga at Ultimate Fitness in Bettendorf. I usually go on Saturdays. You should come! We could get some lunch afterwards. Or is that too creepy, to meet someone from blogland? I could be an 80-year-old-man, you know.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents had a similar shoe situation in their mudroom closet that drove me mad. I bought and assembled the same shelf (along with a bunch of baskets for hats, etc.) for them and several years later it's still organized. I wish I could say the same about the pantry and cabinets I organize every single time I'm home. It's absolutely maddening. Deep breath, not my home. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have those same shoe organizers! And, this is way old, but in response to your TV question in the guest room...I say, get rid of it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://www.decorandthedog.net'.