Monday, February 4, 2013

Easy Valentine’s Yarn Wreath

I am a wreath making fool lately.  It’s become some sort of sickness.

This Valentine’s Day wreath isn’t entirely my fault.

Valentine's Yarn Wreath

Kim (NewlyWoodwards) and I have started a monthly craft night.  We’ve even allowed others to join us in our crafting awesome.  We’re nice like that.

Our craft night has two simple rules:  1. The host picks a project that the will be completed by the group.  (Other crafty things can be worked on after the group craft.)   2. Everyone brings a dessert or appetizer.

craftnight

Kim was the first to host.  She chose yarn wreaths as our craft.  These wreaths only took us about 3 hours to wrap. (Please note how far behind Mrs. Woodward is.) Of course there were food and adorable baby distractions. 

IMG_20130124_183143

The directions for yarn wreaths are pretty self-explanatory. Wrap yarn around the wreath until it’s covered.  I used two colors (because I like to make things hard) but it was fairly easy to keep the colors alternating.

This is how we ended the night.  Most of us were yarn wrapped but not finished.  Even though none of us completed our wreaths, we are still considering craft night a huge success.

craftnight2

I finally took some time this week-end to crochet some hearts to finish off my project.  (I used an excellent tutorial from Maybe Matilda.)  In true Michelle fashion, I wanted to keep the wreath nice and simple.  I’m not big on things screaming “HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!!”.  I like more of a Valentine’s whisper.

Ike loves how the wreath ties in colors from our Be Awesome Today sign and our rug.

Valentine's Yarn Wrapped Wreath Crochet Hearts Wire Fox Terrier

Valetine's Wreath Crochet Hearts Be Awesome Today Sign

Easy Valentine's Crochet Heart Wreath

I’m this month’s host.  Which reminds me.  I need to pick a date and a craft. Yikes.

(Read Kim’s version of this story over here!)

Any craft night project suggestions?  Are you a wreath fan?  Do you like Valentine’s decor to scream or whisper?

Linking up to: Bower Power

27 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a craft night! An easy, wearable craft to make is a trellis yarn necklace. Here's a great tutorial on it. http://justanotherhangup.blogspot.com/2012/04/trellis-necklace-tutorial.html. FYI I couldn't find the yarn at the big box craft stores. You can find online or might find at local yarn store. One skein makes alot of necklaces so sharing supplies can work too. ~Arian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I lived by you, you guys are so fun! Skype? I would keep the wreath thing going, how fun would it be to look back at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know i love some craft nights! we bring wine to ours though.... it helps make us more creative. and more drunk.
    love your wreath!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad that I don't live near you guys. You're my cup of tea. I was never a wreath person until I made a jute wreath. It looks nice and sleek unlike the 50 wreaths my Nana has all over her house. These are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that wreath! I just went to a craft night this week too where our hostess picked out some crafts from Pinterest for everyone to do. It was so much fun! I would love to make it a monthly thing.

    I'm a new follower--glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The look on Henry's face is priceless. He looks fairly unimpressed with your wreath making efforts.

    Add craft night to "Cindy's List of Reasons to Move South."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a fan of the Valentine's whisper, too. Your wreath looks great! And you look totally natural with a baby on your lap. Henry loves you. And I'm glad the heart tutorial was helpful! I hadn't thought of putting them on a wreath, but they look perfect. Awesome job! I want to come to craft night :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Valentine's Day whisper. HA! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute!! I love the little hearts... and the idea of a craft night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous that you have fun people that you can have craft night with. I would love that! Your wreath is perfect and I'm so glad that Ike approves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely done. I like the alternating colors and crocheted hearts. Craft night sounds like fun. Just add booze and I'd be there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! The crocheted hearts are the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the idea of a craft night!! Jealous that I don't live closer... haha. I really like the alternating colours on yours and the hearts are adorable! I'm with Amy- the "Valentine's whisper" comment made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like so much fun! I wish I lived by you guys ;) I'm all about the "whisper" too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! I love the blue and white combo. And the baby is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh i like whisper valentines too. I want to have a craft night too, darn it i have no crafty friends in southern illinois!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a perfect craft night idea - something monotonous that you can do while chatting and not paying much attention. And also you can do it while drinking wine. Win! Love the way it looks next to your awesome sign!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your wreath turned out so cute. I love the blue and white and the crochet hearts are fabulous.

    Thanks for taking on the craft night with me. You are such an awesome friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE THAT TWO TONED WREATH!! I can't believe it takes that long to wrap?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your wreath is adorable!! Those little hearts are so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute little wreath! Especially with the crocheted hearts. I have been moping around because I don't have a February themed wreath for my front door but I totally forgot I have a yarn wrapped one I can Valentine-ify. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay 1. Your wreath is adorable. 2. That baby looks good on you. ;) Just FYI- I have not been slacking on my DATD stalking, I just wasn't signed on to my hubbies ipad to comment under my name yet. Now that I fixed that problem, let the stalking continue!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your wreath. That's awesome that you and your friends do craft meetups. Sounds like so much fun. Happy Valentine's Day to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that this is a little nautical- super cute! You should enter your photos from this project into Craftbaby's Hearts Craft Challenge :-) http://www.craftbaby.com/contests/43/those-tiny-toes-hearts-craft

    xo,
    Candie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Howdy! This post couldn't be written any better!
    Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about
    this. I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty
    sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!


    Feel free to surf to my page: www.storrepenistestet.eu (http://www.www.corpnews.pl/adsense-a-extremely-superior-supply-revenue-penis-f-rstoring.html)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://www.decorandthedog.net'.