Friday, March 4, 2011

30 Before 30

I turn 29 today.  I’m still debating how I feel about this.  I guess it’s better than the alternative.

29 is a funny age.  I am pretty settled into a life routine.  My days are pretty much the same.  It’s the first time in my life that I’m not actively working toward goals.  Not having goals is pretty boring so I decided to make a list of 30 days that I would like to accomplish before I turn 30…exactly 1 year from today. 

(This is more of a personal post for me but thought some of you might find it interesting.  There will be photos of my guest room later today so check back later if you feel like skipping this personal non-sense…)

1. Eat vegetables every day for 1 week
  • I currently don’t eat vegetables.  I take a multivitamin and call it good.
  • I will hopefully do this longer..but let's be realistic.
2. Attempt the couch to 5K
  • I currently exercise about 5 days a week (but I don’t run). 
  • I’m looking for something to mix up my current routine.
3. Pay off my student loans
  • I started 3 years ago with $98,000 in student loans (I believe student loans are the only reason the world has pharmacists).  I am now under $50,000.  Nate has projected that if we keep saving at our current rate I can have my loans paid off by July 2012.  So March 2012 is a bit lofty but definitely doable.
4. Make a pie...from scratch
  • I should say make a pie from scratch that doesn’t turn into soup.
5. Go to a movie...alone. 
  • This is weird but something I have always felt like doing but have never done.
  • Who wants to go with me? :)
6.  Read the manual for our Nikon DSLR
  • Nate keeps telling me that I can’t use his camera unless I read the manual…so I’m going to.
7. Learn photoshop (or at least some basics)
  • We have Photoshop Elements and I would like to do some crafty things with it.
8. Finalize the children vs. no children plan for the future
  • This doesn’t mean that we have to have children in the next year…I just think we should decide if this is something we want or not.  We're not getting any younger....
9. Take a stay-cation
  • I like to travel but I think it would be really nice to spend some time at home during the summer.
10. Improve my espanol
  • This would be extremely helpful at work.  I’m debating between taking a class or finding something on-line.
11.  Try a new restuarant each...month? every other month?
  • Nate and I eat at the same restaurants.  We need to expand our horizons.  I mean, Chik-Fil-A is good but there is probably something out there equally as good.
12. Finish my pharmacy CEs by the end of April 2011
  • They have to be completed by December 2011….or I lose my license. 
  • I think having them done before summer would be a good idea.
13. Don't eat out for an entire week
  • We usually only eat out once or twice so this isn't a huge deal but it’s good to prove to myself that I can eat at home/pack a lunch every day for a whole 7 days.  I’m sorry Jimmy John’s…..
14.  Mail birthday cards to friends and family- on time
  • I’m doing better about buying the cards this year but getting them sent on time is another story……right Melissa?…..whose birthday was Feb. 8th (your card is on my kitchen counter…I swear)
15. Find a way to organize coupons
  • I try to do things to save money and cutting coupons is part of that.  The problem is that I cut them and then do nothing with them.  They don’t save you much money if you don’t know you have them.
16.  Build a bed frame for our master bedroom
  • At least shout orders while Nate builds the bed frame :)
17.  Take a yoga class
  • I like doing yoga....in my basement.  If I fall over, no one notices..except for Ike. 
  • It would be good to get out and try a class.
18. Take pictures with the DSLR in manual
  • See #6.  Nate also thinks that me taking pictures on the automatic setting is a crime.
19. Go without the internet for 1 day
  • or 2 days if I'm feeling especially goal oriented
  • This will be hard but I think I can do it
20. Travel to Georgia
  • This may be cheating beings we already have a trip planned but 30 things is hard.
21. Plan a bridal shower
  • I’m thrown showers before and I have done a crummy job but this one will hopefully be different!
22. Improve the photos on my blog
  • see #6 and #18
  • I would also like to start including more personal photos…which means showering on the week-end…I should make that a goal....
23. Stick with blogging
  • I like to see if I can do things.  I get bored once I realize that I can “do it.” 
  • Having an on-line place to track changes in our house/life will be rewarding
  • It’s also a good creative outlet for me
24. Give up diet Mt. Dew for 1 month
  • I drink a can a day.  It’s my one vise.  I’d like to think that I’m not addicted but that’s not true.
  • I’m pretty sure that there is going to be some big study coming out that finds that diet dew causes cancer….How can something so delicious not cause cancer??
25. Finish the mudroom
  • I have plans…and a crafty father-in-law
26. Paint the guest bathroom grey
  • Uggg painting.
27. Refinish a dresser for our master bedroom
  • I need to find said dresser but I am pretty excited about this goal
28. Hang curtains in our master bedroom
  • They are on back order until the middle of March.  Bummer.  Hopefully they’ll be available by the time I’m 30….
29. Switch to more natural cleaners
  • I have switched to all natural beauty products (shampoo, body wash, face wash, make-up) but would like to change to more natural cleaners as well.
  • I would love to make my own but I have a strong aversion to vinegar….sickkkkkk…and most homemade cleaners need vinegar.
30. Finish knitting a blanket that I started about 2 years ago
  • Knitting is one of those “see if I can do this” things.  I will finish this.
There you have it.  How many of these 30 goals do you think I can accomplish?  What are your goals for the next year?

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! I turn 29 this year too. We have a loth of the same goals. My one piece of advice to really completing them is to write or print out the list and put it some place you will see it every day. It will motivate you and it will encourage other people that see it to keep on you about accomplishing it. Sounds like it's going to be a great year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list! And there are so many things on this that are also on my to-dos.

    Couch to 5K. Totally started that, but I decided that I hate doing it on the treadmill. I'm wanting to get started again doing it outside. Do you have an Iphone or Ipod Classic? They have Couch to 5K app that tells you when to walk vs. run. I don't have one but it sounds awesome.

    Great idea about trying new restaurants. Ryan's pretty picky so we eat A LOT at Los Agaves. Oh well, it's yummy.

    And, I tried vinegar for cleaning for a while and hated it, too. Even with essential oils. The smell disappated but I hated it still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very ambitious list, but definitely doable! I will run your first 5k with you :o)

    Someone gave me this website with natural cleaners...maybe you will find something good?

    http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2011/02/homemade-cleaning-products-non-toxic.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good friend. You may have inspired me. I've been having some motivational issues lately. On a different note....how are you doing this school loan thing?? I want to know. I would love to be rid of my student loans! Can you email/facebook me and tell me? Or have your financial advisor email me? :o) You rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like #14:) I am just as horrible at sending cards, I just happen to get yours in the same week as your bday. and you are doing fantastic might I add on #21. It will be a glorious shower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps-that was melissa in the above comment if you didnt catch that

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this list! I'm 32, and just started making my list of 40 before 40 :) Great list! I'm a knitter and a runner, and I say you can totally do both. I also recently went to a movie by myself for the first time and it was way better than I thought it would be. Doesn't matter how fast you eat your popcorn, or if you get a size much bigger than you really should, ha! cards...if you find a way to send things on time, give a shout out, because I can't seem to do it! Great list, good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://www.decorandthedog.net'.