Monday, February 21, 2011

Upholstering a Headboard

 Remember this headboard from our master bedroom?


We decided it needed a face lift before making its' home in our guest bedroom.

This was a super easy project.

Neither of us was digging the curve so Nate sawed it off.  The sawing took about 5 minutes and left us with this...

How to Upholster a Headboard Tutorial DIY

(Please ignore our disaster of a storage room....now you're looking closer...stop....)

Since this was a re-upholster job, we just needed to staple on the fabric. 
If you are starting from scratch you will need a plain old piece of plywood cut to the appropriate size (our king size headboard was 49" x 80"). 
From there, staple some batting onto the plywood and you are caught up with us!

I then headed to the fabric store.  I think this was the longest part of the process because it's such a big decision....and I get lost in fabric stores.  Half of the time I forget why I'm even there....

Our headboard was 49" x 80" (fits a king size bed).  The fabric on the spool was 58" wide so I purchased 2.5 yards to make sure I had enough fabric to wrap on the sides.  The upholestery fabric was 50% off so my total was $23.00.

We placed the fabric on the floor and then layed the plywood on top.

How to Upholster a Headboard Tutorial DIY

We centered the fabric and then started stapling away.  Ike is a great supervisor.

How to Upholster a Headboard Tutorial DIY

We started in the center at the top of the headboard and then worked our way to the outsides.  The corners were the only slightly tricky part of this project.  We just had to make sure they were nice and tight.
How to Upholster a Headboard Tutorial DIY

We pulled, tightened, and stapled our way around the headboard (took about 10 minutes max) and ended with this....

How to Upholster a Headboard Tutorial DIY

And here it is living in our guest bedroom....

How to Upholster a Headboard Tutorial DIY

You can attach the plywood to the bed.  We're lazy and leaned it against the wall.  You can't tell either way. Seriously.

(The headboard is straight.  The photo is crooked.  I still don't know how to use the DSLR.  Nate told me today that I'm not allowed to use it until I read the user manual.  Luckily he's not home very much...)

Have you been wanting to upholster a headboard? What's holding you back? It's easy.....trust me.

(I did a few other projects for our guest bedroom this week-end (hence the cropped headboard photo) that I will share this week!)

5 comments:

  1. I love how an upholstered headboard can make such a dramatic statement in a bedroom...and it is so easy. Great work, I love the fabric you chose for the headboard. Hope you had a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! cute fabric too, it looks great against that color wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I have in my master bedroom. I mean, not as cool of course, but still. It started in a different color and then when I changed bedspreads I changed colors. Super easy and great idea. You make me jealous. And your mac and cheese looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments on the fabric. I was/still am nervous about the fabric choice. I was trying to be less boring. Nate didn't appear to be disgusted by it so I assumed it was okay! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the DSLR? The leveler? I loose track of time in a fabric store too. lol It came out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://www.decorandthedog.net'.